My apologies for the long outage for almost 12
hours. Unfortunately I didn't check the site after I returned home last
night, I went to bed, and I found it inoperable this morning, thus the
long duration. The problem was that the index.php file permissions
somehow got set to 0000 (no permissions for anybody to access it
whatsover). The big question now is how that happened. I haven't touched
those permissions for a long time. I need to investigate this, and I'll
let you know ASAP.
confirmed that it was not a hacker or a site malfunction. The hosting
company made an uncharacteristically bad decision of crippling the site
to reduce system resource usage. I am currently taking up that issue
with the hosting company.